Acceptable Use Policy
This Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) specifies the actions prohibited by Colony One On-Line, Inc. ("Colony One") to users of the Colony One Network. Colony One reserves the right to modify the Policy at any time.
The Colony One Network may be used only for lawful
purposes. Transmission, distribution or storage
of any material in violation of any applicable
law or regulation is prohibited. This includes,
without limitation, material protected by copyright,
trademark, trade secret or other intellectual
property right used without proper authorization,
and material that is obscene, defamatory, constitutes
an illegal threat, or violates export control
System and network security
Violations of system or network security are prohibited, and may result in criminal and civil liability. Colony One will investigate incidents involving such violations and may involve and will cooperate with law enforcement if a criminal violation is suspected. Examples of system or network security violations include, without limitation, the following:
- Unauthorized access to or use of data, systems
or networks, including any attempt to probe,
scan or test the vulnerability of a system or
network or to breach security or authentication
measures without express authorization of the
owner of the system or network.
- Unauthorized monitoring of data or traffic
on any network or system without express authorization
of the owner of the system or network.
- Interference with service to any user, host
or network including, without limitation, mailbombing,
flooding, deliberate attempts to overload a
system and broadcast attacks.
- Forging of any TCP-IP packet header or any
part of the header information in an email or
a newsgroup posting.
Sending unsolicited mail messages, including, without limitation, commercial advertising and informational announcements, is explicitly prohibited. A user shall not use another site's mail server to relay mail without the express permission of the site.
Any mailings that result in complaints about the following will be treated as a violation of our acceptable use policy and will result in penalty fees and possible service suspension, or even cancellation:
- SPAM from our network (using our SMTP services
or a server running SMTP services on our network)
- SPAM from a non-Colony One network, promoting
a website that is hosted on our services (using
a non colony1 SMTP service)
In order to have a mailing list that is not considered SPAM by Colony One On-Line, the following terms must be met.
- Emails addresses can not be purchased from non-opt in lists and then used for advertisement. If you purchase a list that claims to be opt-in but is indeed "mass mail, non-opt in lists", we have to treat this as not being an opt-in list. We recommend you send a preliminary "confirm your optin status" email before mass emailing a list.
Last Update: December 31, 2002